Guidelines to help you navigate university life!

To jump to the COVID-19 regulations FAQ:

What can we help you with?

Are you wondering how to book a room? how to do events? Well, you came to the right place. On the following attachments, you will see different guides! Good luck and tell us what else could we help with!  *Content Updated Regularly*


General Questions

The univesity IT department, you can find all the relevant information here.

IT Services can provide you with new password for HIS, Moodle and University email account. (

Timetables are published in Moodle in your faculty’s area. You can also find timetables on your faculty’s pin board.

You can change your address yourself in the HIS portal. Just login with your account and go to general administration -> contact information -> semester address and fill in your current address.

After changing the semester address go to “correspondence address” and select “Semesteranschrift”.

No, you must have completed your 8-week internship requirement to register for your fourth semester of study. The deadline for completion can be found in the examination regulations of your degree programme.

In other words, if you do not complete this requirement, you cannot receive your student ID or register for exams. If you are are currently doing your internship and need an extension, please speak with your faculty representatives.

Yes, it’s possible to change degree programmes at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences. If you are a first-semester student who originally decided on one degree programme, but would now like to enrol in a different one, then you must have a letter of admission for the new degree programme. In other words, you have to apply online for the new degree programme as well.

If you’re in your second semester of study or later, and you’ve already completed courses or exams in the degree programme you wish to change to, then you can apply for admission to that programme as an advanced student. You can find the form (“Application for change of study programme”) at Forms and Deadlines. Please submit the completed and signed form to the Student Advisory Center.

The International Office offers consultation hours especially for students planning a study abroad semester. You can also find a list of our partner universities with whom we have exchange agreements.

All students who meet the requirements in Section 5 of the Beitragsordnung der Studierendenschaft der Hochschule Rhein-Waal (Semester Fee Regulations of the Student Body of HSRW/available only in German) can apply for an exemption from the bi-annual Semester Ticket. Applications for exemptions (see Forms and Deadlines) must be submitted before the semester registration deadline.

Academic leaves of absence are only granted for specific, important reasons, which are outlined in Section 9 of the Einschreibungsordnung (HSRW Enrolment Regulations/available only in German).

All requests for academic leaves of absence must be submitted in writing. You can find the form in the Student Advisory Service or under Forms and Deadlines.

If you’ll be studying abroad or doing an internship for your degree programme in the next semester, you must register again as a student at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences for this semester as well!

If you will not be on campus for the semester due to studying abroad or an internship, you can apply for a temporary exemption from the Semester Ticket. To do so, please submit the proper form before the semester registration deadline.

Please note that your application can only be approved once your study abroad semester or your practical semester has been approved by your faculty’s Examination Board.

Please see the recommended study plan in the annex of the examination regulations for your degree programme. Examination regulations are available online.

You must submit a refund application before the official deadline set by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (refer to the dates on this page). You must also return your student ID and proof of enrolment if they were issued to you.

Please send your refund application to the Student Advisory Center. Please mark the option “Deregistration/withdrawal from course of study”.

Yes, but only for as long as you are officially a student. If you submit an application for withdrawal/deregistration with delayed effect, then you must return your student ID and your semester ticket by the date indicated. If you deregister with immediate effect, you must hand in your student ID and semester ticket immediately.

You can request an application for credit transfer from the Dean’s Office of your faculty. This form, along with all supporting documents, must then be submitted to the Dean’s Office for final consideration.

Generally, a transfer request must be submitted during your first two semesters. Please refer Section 9 of the General Examination Regulations for Bachelor’s Programmes for more information.

International Department

Registering your address is done in the City Hall and is an important step before being able to apply for the initial visa extension. These days an appointment has to be made through an online portal, a link of which can be found in our link section.

You will need a form of identification, usually a passport, along with the rental contract and a “Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung” which is a document your landlord is obligated to provide you.

You can do so using the Visa Day service that is courtesy of the Welcome Center (link can be found under international department page), or you can send an email to requesting one.

More information on the Visa Day and the welcome center tutors, as well as a tutorial for how to create the appointment and the necessary documents required can be found on our international department page under important links section.

Of course, we will try to. Please send an email to with your appointment details, and we will try our best to be available to you at that time.

  • Bürgerbüro der Stadt Kleve:  Minoritenplatz 1 47533 Kleve
  • Ausländerbehörde Kreis Kleve: Nassauerallee 18, 47533 Kleve 

Opening Hours can be found online

No, this semester enrollment can be done fully online! Please refer to your admission letter for more information on where the documents need to be sent and by when.

If you are from an EU member state you only have to present your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to one of the local insurance companies in Germany, and after taking basic information from you, they will supply you with an exemption letter which you can use when you enroll. You are then automatically insured, and no further action is required. If you are a 3rd country national, you will have to take out a German health insurance policy. There are many different health insurance companies which can be found on the internet.

If you have moved into a new residence, and one of your roommates, or your landlord has already registered it, then there is some information such as a contribution number that you can acquire from them in order to register yourself under it as well.

 If you receive BAföG and do not live with your parents, you can apply for an exemption from the fee. The exemption also applies to spouses or registered partners, but not to other tenants.

Yes! There are resources available to report discrimination, both from the university and otherwise. Our university has its very own Equal Opportunities Department where it is possible to do so. An organization known as the Federal Anti-Discrimination Agency is also a great means for seeking counseling. More information on that organization can be found in our guide section.

If the change in course would occur before the 3rd semester, it should be possible without question. After that, it becomes a case-to-case basis to be discussed with the foreign office. The important thing to know is that the foreign office will have to be informed immediately by you about this change, and not at the next renewal meeting.

Please contact Student Services with ample time before your appointment!

Please contact Student Services with ample time before your appointment!

You can download that from the HISOne portal, under the tab “administration of exams”

Yes! The student visa allows us students to work 120 full days or 240 half days a year.

Yes! The foreign office would also accept a job contract. For more information on the acceptance criteria for the various ways to prove finances, we can only recommend contacting your foreign office directly about your case.

Unfortunately, not, but we would recommend you to join our Facebook group “Student Life at Hochschule Rhein – Waal powered by AStA” where there are constant updates on upcoming available accommodations!

Absolutely, if the specific one you are looking for exists in the area, we will try our best to locate it and let you know how to get there!

Yes! All international students must start their application process via Uni-Assist. For more information on application and enrollment please contact Student Services. You can also find information here.

KLEvent Department

Please follow this Guide (suspended during COVID-19)

Political Education Department

Public Relations Department

Please send us an email to

Please contact us via email or via social media

Social Department

You can contact


The deposit can be kept for up to 6 months if it isn’t stated otherwise in the rental contract.

We try to help you individually as best as we can using our experience and if there is something that needs more legal expertise you can get a voucher for a free consultation with the Mietverein (renters association). Get in contact with the Social head of your respective campus for that.


  • There are several scholarships you can apply to that don’t all require excellent grades. Find an overview of scholarships on the university website:
  • You can also take a loan from a bank which you will need to pay back later. The KfW Studienkredit, for example, has specific offers for students.
  • You can apply for a AStA loan which you will also need to pay back but is interest-free and that can cover semester fee, health insurance or rent or a combination of those. For information about the procedure and application, check out the document “How to apply for financial support”, which you can find on the Social department page.
  • Due to the help of the Förderverein you can apply to get a grant of 250€ once that does not need to be paid back and that is supposed to help students facing financial hardships. For information on how to apply get in touch with the Social department.


The contribution serves to finance public broadcasting service. The current fee for private households is 17.50 euros per month.

It works as follows: One flat = one contribution/fee.

Normally, you should get registered automatically once you move into your new place, but you can also do so yourself online:

If you live together with other people in one flat, only one person pays the fee, regardless of how many persons live in it or how many devices you use. With the contribution number of the person who pays it you can register yourself under that number as well (e.g. on their website) to avoid multiple people paying the contribution when living in one flat. You can then decide between each other to share the costs. In some cases the landlord already pays it.


Find more information in English here:

We are not able to give you legal advice. However, if you need to get legal assistance or legal advice you can go to the Amtsgericht in your city/district and apply for “Beratungshilfe”. 

Find more information and the procedure in the document “Legal advice procedure” on the Social department page.

If you think you cannot pay your next rent, please get in contact with your landlord. Talk about the current situation and try to agree on/ find individual agreements which could be: paying later, paying in instalments, or even not having to pay the rent for this month. All this can be agreed on voluntarily from the landlords side. Whatever the landlord agrees to with you, get in written form for evidence.

Find useful information for renters on: (German website). It also updates you regularly on any new updates/laws during Corona.

If you have financial troubles look into the possibilities of financial support.

If you struggle to afford your weekly groceries you can visit your local “Tafel” where you can get food, including fresh fruit and vegetables, for free (in KaLi 2€ per bag).


Briener Straße 6b (at the XOX building)

47533 Kleve

Tuesdays and Thursday: 11:30 – 13:00

If you go there for the first time, you need to fill out a form first and then you get a card which you need to show each time you go to collect food. You can do this every Tuesday and Thursday between 9:00 and 12:00.


Friedrich-Heinrich-Allee 14

47475 Kamp-Lintfort

Tuesdays and Fridays 13:00 – 15:00

Sports Department

Hochschulsport offers regular courses in generalised sports whereas AStA Sports is for one-off sports events that are as per the interests and requests of the students. In addition, Hochschulsport is organized on the university level, as for the AStA Sports department, it is a part of the student body.

You can check facebook and instagram for all the updates regarding the sports events that are being organised. Also, you can directly contact us via email (

University Policy Department

AStA University Policy (

Corona Regulations *Updated 25.04.2021*

Due to the low incident rate in the counties Kleve and Wesel the curfew from 22-5:00 is cancelled

Outdoor gastronomy is in general open for people with a negative Covid-19 test or who can prove to be vaccinated or have recovered from the virus. In some instances, vaccinated and recovered people are still required to show a negative Covid-19 test.
People who have been proven to be vaccinated or have recovered from the virus are not counted in the maximum number of people at meetings and private gatherings.
It is still obligatory to wear a mask for everyone!


*Who is considered vaccinated?*

When at least 14 days have passed after the last required single vaccination (usually after the second injection). The vaccinated person must be able to provide proof on paper or digitally in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish.

*Who is considered recovered?*
According to the regulation, people are considered to have recovered if they have survived a Corona infection – and can prove this with a positive PCR laboratory test that is at least 28 days and no more than six months old. People whose illness occurred more than six months ago are not considered recovered for the purposes of the regulation.

Corona-emergency-break “Notbremse”

Corona “Notbremse” from April, 24 until preliminary June, 30

  •     Private meetings at home only with one additional person from another household, but maximal 5 persons, except children, in total.
  •     A curfew is in effect between 22:00 and 5:00, in cities and counties where there have been 100 infections per 100,000 inhabitants (incidence) within a week. Incidence on 24.04.2021 in Kleve: 163,9 and Kamp-Lintfort: 150,4.
  •     Exceptions to the curfews are made for work and medical purposes and also between 22:00 and midnight for persons who go outdoors individually for walking or exercising sports. After midnight, this is also prohibited.
  •     Shops may only open for customers with a negative Covid-19 quick test on appointment. However, a negative test is only required for non-essential stores. You don’t need one for supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations, etc. Please note that essential stores will now be closed at 21:45.
  •     Contactless outdoor sports are allowed with one additional person from another household, but maximal 5 persons in total. Exception is made for contactless sport for children.
  •     Overnight stays as tourists are prohibited.

From Tuesday, April 6th onwards, The Netherlands was declared a “high incidence area”

Anyone entering North Rhine-Westphalia from a risk area abroad must in principle undergo a ten-day entry quarantine and register at:

However, this quarantine can be avoided if travelers undergo a corona test (PCR test or Point-of-Care (PoC) quick test) 48 hours before or within 24 hours after their entry and the result of the test is negative. 

Commuters that have to cross the German-Dutch border due to their job or because of their studies or education, a negative test is valid for only 72 hours! This means you would have to get tested twice in one working week.


COVID-19 Quick tests:

In many cities in North Rhine-Westphalia, you can visit test stations. There, you can get a Point-of-Care (PoC) quick test for free once a week. Here is a list of the current test stations in Kleve:…/information_zu_tests…

In the case of a positive test result there should be the option of immediate PCR confirmation testing. Please contact the local health authorities in that case.

Many pharmacies offer Covid-19 quick tests for self-use. Quick tests for self-use are also available in supermarkets (Aldi, Lidl) for around 5 euros per test. However they will not be accepted where a PCR test or Point-of-Care (PoC) quick test is necessary. 


If you stay less than 24 hours in North Rhine-Westphalia you are exempted from testing

Private meetings at home only with one additional person from another household, but maximal 5 persons, except children, in total.

At an incidence number of more than 200 new infections per 100.000 inhabitants in one week the authorities can create measures so that people are not allowed to be more than 15 km away from their place of residence without a good reason. 

Pharmacies, Medical supply stores, Banks, Drugstores, Kiosks, Food retail stores and supermarkets, Gas stations, Pickup and delivery services, Religious facilities will be open under certain restrictions, Beverage stores, Post offices, Dry cleaners, Washing salons, pet supplies and feed stores. 

Public consumption of alcohol is NO LONGER prohibited

Employers are urged to change to home-office options.

All other previous measures that are not mentioned here remain unchanged.

The website of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia provides updates on the measures:

  • In public and in private places a maximum of 5 people from a maximum of two households are allowed to meet. Couples that do not live in the same household may be counted as one household.

  • Children up to and including 14 years of age are not included in the calculation of the number of persons 
  • Demonstrations in coordination with the local administration are allowed. Please find more information at the question about facial masks. 
  • If contact details are given incorrectly (i.e. at private parties), a fine of 250€ may be imposed. If a gathering in public with at least 50 persons is not registered, a fine of 500€ is threatened

There is a transport ban for countries with Corona virus mutations. For countries where virus mutations are widespread (so called Virusvarianten-Gebiete can be found under:, there is a transport ban. Transport companies, e.g. airlines or railroad companies, are not allowed to transport persons from these countries to Germany. Transportation is only possible in narrowly defined exceptional cases, in particular: for persons with residence and existing right of residence in Germany, for persons who are only transferring in a transit area of a commercial airport, and in a few other special cases.

With the current Corona travel restrictions in place you can enter Germany unrestricted, if you travel from an EU member state, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand.

Exceptions are for:

  • People with citizenship of Germany, the EU, a Schengen area associated state, the UK, and their core family members (wife, husband, minor children).
  • People with long-term residence, or a D-Visa issued by either Germany, the EU, a Schengen area associated state, and their core family members.
  • People with necessary reasons like healthcare personnel, special workers, students whose study course cannot be done abroad, and medical, humanitarian or safety issues.

Please inform yourself on this website by the foreign ministry about updated travel restrictions

People that come from a high incident area (so called Hochinzidenzgebiete) or a country where the virus mutations are widespread (so called Virusvarianten-Gebiete can be found under: must show a coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 test certificate on arrival. 


People that arrive in Germany and have been in a by the RKI (Robert-Koch Institute) identified risk area (not meant are Hochinzidenzgebiet or Virusvarianten-Gebiet. Link:, that is outside of Germany must notify the local health authority (phone: 0049 2821 594 950) with this formula (, must travel directly to their place of residence in Germany and must quarantine for 10 days. 


Only if you can provide the local health authority with a negative test for COVID-19 that is not older than 48 hours at the point of entry in Germany you must not quarantine for 10 days. If you do a COVID-19 test at arrival in Germany, you must quarantine until the test results prove that you are not infected with COVID-19.


Exempted from the 10 day quarantine on arrival are: People with necessary reasons like healthcare personnel, special workers, commuters, diplomats, and people that travel to Germany for less than 48 hours to visit their relatives.


People that come from the RKI identified risk area can still test for free on arrival at these Airports in Germany North-Rhine Westphalia: Düsseldorf (DUS), Dortmund (DTM), Köln/Bonn (CGN), Münster/Osnabrück (FMO). If you still want to do a test for Covid-19, you have to pay 60-300€ when you don’t have a justified cause. Check with your doctor as he is able to let you test for free.


People that arrive in any other state of Germany than North Rhine-Westphalia are still required to follow the respective regional restrictions.

The Robert Koch Institute updates the risk areas daily. You can find information here (German only):

Several countries have updated their travel restrictions. Detailed information about global travel restrictions you can find here:

The Ministry of Health of North Rhine-Westphalia has set up a hotline where people can ask questions about the coronavirus from Monday to Friday between 8:00 and 18:00. Phone: 0211 91191001. There is no medical advice.

The Robert Koch Institute gives a daily update from the medical perspective:

German news agency Deutsche Welle provides international news in the English language:

New regulations apply from 25 January: Medical masks (surgical masks, FFP2 masks) become compulsory in public transport and retail trade. Exceptions apply only to children under the age of 14.

Facial masks are compulsory in public transportation, stores, restaurants, doctor’s offices and other health facilities in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW). They are also compulsory when a minimum distance of 1.5 meters between persons that are outside is not possible i.e. in the pedestrian zone, bus stops, etc.

You will have to pay a fine if you don’t wear one! There are exceptions for persons with medical conditions and small children.


People living in Germany can get a free Corona test multiple times a week at many places in Kleve and Kamp-Lintfort (List of places in Link in Bio).

The Corona quick test (PoC, Antigen-Schnelltest) will be conducted by medical personal and you will get a certificate that is valid for 24 hours i.e. to cross the border to the Netherlands, or to go shopping.



  1. You have no Corona symptoms and you are not in quarantine (you will need to sign this!)
  2. Have your German identity card, or as international student your visa (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung), a photo ID, and a document that states your address in Germany
  3. No eating, drinking, or teeth brushing 15 minutes before testing

In case your test is positive you will have the chance to conduct a PCR-test for final proof. 


If you want to conduct a PCR test for international travel please contact you doctor. You can also book an appointment for Kleve at “Clivia Testzentrum Kleve” (02821 7182345), or for Kamp-Lintfort at “DRK-Kreisverband Niederrhein e.V” (0281 3001878). Beware that the PCR-test costs 79-89€ and needs 24 hours for the result.

Places for free Corona Tests Kleve:$file/information_zu_tests_uebersicht_schnelttestzentren.pdf?OpenElement

Places for free Corona Tests Kamp-Lintfort:

A quick test, by means of which you can verify an infection with the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 on your own, does not exist for home use. Please contact a doctor if you need a test for Covid-19. Many pharmacies and supermarkets offer Covid-19 rapid tests for self-use. The test costs an average 5 euros.

According to the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, no proven case has been reported to date of a person being infected by consuming contaminated foodstuffs or through contact with objects contaminated with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Also, there have been no reports of other coronaviruses causing infection through foodstuffs or contact with dry surfaces. However, virus transmission by way of smear infection is considered possible from surfaces contaminated shortly before contact.

The Robert Koch Institute (RKI) does not recommend routine surface disinfectants in the house. However, if disinfection in individual places is seen as necessary the RKI recommends to disinfect manually instead of a spray-disinfection. Manual disinfection is more effective and it is less likely to breath in chemical substances.

Further the RKI advises to use disinfectants labeled with ”limited virucidal activity” (German: begrenzt Viruzid) or with ”virucidal activity” (German: viruzid).

All European countries are affected by the coronavirus and in every German state infections have been confirmed. All measures taken by the German government aim at slowing down the spread to not overload the health care system.

The course of the disease will be mild or unnoticed in 80% of the cases. Persons above the age of 70 or with pre-existing medical conditions have a higher risk of a serious illness or even dying.

You can find further information here:

The University has established a Taskforce Coronavirus, which monitors the situation and coordinates measures.

You can find information on the website of the University (, on its social media channels, and in your emails. For further questions regarding the coronavirus a special email was set up: corona@hochschule-rhein-waal.

  • Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with soap and water 
  • Avoid touching your face
  • When you cough or sneeze cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow instead of your hands 
  • Avoid shaking hands 
  • Maintain at least 1.5 meters distance between yourself and others
  • Follow the measures taken by the govenmental authorities 
  • Fever 
  • Cough 
  • Difficulty in breathing 
  • Nasal congestion 
  • Sore throat 
  • Aches and pains 

Stay at home, avoid any contact with other persons, contact the local health authority and follow their instructions: 02821 594950. If you live in a shared flat air the rooms frequently and stay in different rooms. Contact a local doctor by phone or between 20:00 and 8:00 the emergency service at 116 117. Do not visit a doctor or hospital without coordinating your visit beforehand by phone to prevent the further spread of the virus.

In case your infection is positive, inform your lecturer and faculty. If you are working, inform your employer.

If you have been tested positive for the coronavirus follow the instructions by the local health authority, phone: 02821 594950, and stay at home in quarantine or in case of serious illness in isolation at the hospital. The quarantine will be cancelled if you are tested again and not contagious anymore.

Inform your lecturer and faculty. If you are working, inform your employer.

In case of suspicion of an infection, illness or death by yourself or someone you know, it is obligated by law to report to the local health authority. Phone: 02821 594950

Your employer will continue to pay your salary. Your employer will then be entitled to reimbursement, from the Federal Land, of the sums used for the continued payment of wages. Should your employer not pay, you are entitled to compensation from the responsible authority. In the first six weeks, this compensation will correspond to your net salary. After this period, you will receive the amount you would receive as sick pay.

Applicants have to send their matriculation documents and additional documents as scans from now on by Email to:

The semester officially starts on 01.03.2021. Regular lectures start on 29.03.2021 and the examination week ends on 23.7.2021. 

Link to academic Calendar:

All compulsory courses are offered online. Please ask your faculty about details:

Applicants have to send their exmatriculation documents signed and scanned from now on by Email to:

Yes. Please refer to the respective website for more details:

Many people are currently isolated and worry about their health, their relatives and their job. The German Foundation Depression Help advises to exchange with friends or neighbors, but the coronavirus should not be the main topic. Further it helps to have some fresh air and do exercises.

Detailed information you can find here (German only):

There is also an online program in multiple languages, where people with mild depression can organize themselves. Please send an email to:

Specific help you can get at the Crisis Line: 0800/111011 or 0800/1110222.


FOR MORE INFORMATION:…/coronavirus-aktuelle…

If you have any questions about the regulations, don’t hesitate to contact us at and if you have any questions regarding visa, you can contact us at

All the information provided is put together to our best knowledge, taken from official German government agencies, but we do not guarantee or disclaim any warranties about the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of the information.